Networker

[Networker] nsrndmp_save and storage nodes.

2010-05-11 15:51:04
Subject: [Networker] nsrndmp_save and storage nodes.
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:48:14 +0300
Hi,

Recently, I found out that NDMP DSA saves (nsrndmp_save -M) are not behaving as expected when you want to backup to a storage node. My naive approach was to have the following config:

backup command: nsrndmp_save -M -T dump;
storage nodes: legatosn.tau.ac.il;

  This produces the following, undesirable, results:

The NDMP client will send the NDMP stream to the DSA agent on the Networker *SERVER* which in turn will send the output to the desired storage node. This means that the server is now getting the NDMP data stream, encapsulates it and sends it to the SN. The better choice is to have:

backup command: nsrndmp_save -M -T dump -P legatosn.tau.ac.il;
storage nodes: legatosn.tau.ac.il;

This will run the DSA agent on the storage node and so all data will go directly to the it.

While this is documented, it was unclear to me what was happening till I checked things with tcpdump (actually Solaris's snoop).

  I hope this will help some of you.

--

-- Yaron.