Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup renamed directories for Windows?

2010-05-03 11:43:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup renamed directories for Windows?
From: Alexander Kaasjager <A.Kaasjager AT DATAMAN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 17:39:48 +0200
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: George Sinclair

>Len Philpot wrote:
>>> George Sinclair
>>>
>>> We have Windows client (client1, OS=Windows NT Server on Intel), and we
>>> see this if 'Backup renamed directories' is enabled for the resource:
>>>
>>> client1:G:\ save: Invalid VSS Save Operations keyword value of
>>> RENAMED_DIRECTORIES
>>>
>>> but G:\ still gets backed up.
>>
>> I'm not a Windows admin (well, technically I am/was, but let's not go
>> there) but VSS isn't supported by NT Server, is it? Didn't it first appear
>> in XP (or was it 2000)... ?

> From what I could find, Volume Snapshot Service was introduced in
> Windows XP.

> Is the error message suggesting that VSS must be running for the 'Backup
> renamed directories' feature to work or maybe that it cannot be running?
> I'm unclear on what 'VSS' has to do with the 'Backup renamed
> directories' switch and what to infer from this message.

Any client with a Windows version based on the NT kernel will be reported by
Networker as
'NT on Intel', whether you are running NT Workstation 4.0 or Win2008R2, so
please check
With your Windows sysadmin which version you are using exactly:-)

I'm suspecting one of the systems is an older version that may create this
problem.
Although you might well find it to be an issue with Win2008R2, officially
unsupported by NW.

Best of luck,
Regards,
Alex