Networker

[Networker] Q: How to tell Networker that files have NOT been modified?

2010-04-27 17:39:38
Subject: [Networker] Q: How to tell Networker that files have NOT been modified?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:37:04 -0500
The subject line is close to what I'm asking, but here's what's happened.
We recently put the latest available client for Netware: 7.2.1, etc., on
our Netware clients. The Solaris Networker server is still 7.2, but both
will move at some point... hopefully...  maybe before I die... :-\

Anyway, with this client our weeknight differentials were averaging
between 50% and 99% of the size of our fulls run just a day or two
earlier. That is, for some reason it was seeing ***WAY*** too many files
as having been touched, when they hadn't been modified. Typically our
diffs are between ~10% and ~40% at most. Putting the old client back ended
this behavior, but now we have a number of clients with exceedingly large
differentials that will continue to be at least that large until the next
full backup is run, three days away. So what I'm doing tonight is running
full backups of some of them to "reset the pointers" so subsequent diffs
will be normal.

My question is - Is there any other way to reset things for a given client
to "unmodified" without actually running a full backup, so that subsequent
diffs will truly be changed files only? Or is this insane?

I'd certainly rather do some index twiddling if possible rather than use
up tapes and time running an otherwise needless full backup of each.

Thanks!