Networker

Re: [Networker] How to force recovery from clones?

2010-04-26 14:13:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to force recovery from clones?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:11:22 -0400
Preston de Guise wrote:
George,

On 26/04/2010, at 12:01 , George Sinclair wrote:

If you make a clone of a save set, how do you force NW to request the clone
copy?

Do you have to mark the original (ssid/orig_cloneid) 'suspect' via nsrmm? Is
this the only way?

We want to take original tapes to another location and leave clones on site. If
someone needs to recover data, it's kind of a pain to always have to mark the
original save sets suspect. Will NW automatically work with the clone(s) if
that's all that's available? For example, if all the required clone volumes are
in the tape library and none of the originals?

What if NW needs a full and one or more incrementals, and you have all the
required clone volumes for the full in the library, but the incremental tapes,
loaded in the library, are originals? Will that work?

If the clones are in the library and the originals out of the library, NetWorker should
automatically request the clones and work with them, as they'll be "closer".

If neither the clones nor the originals are in the library, you can run the
command:

nsrmm -o offsite X

Ah, never noticed that feature. Looks very handy. When was that added? I see it in 7.5, but not in 7.2.x, although 7.2.x did support the other '-o' options.

for any volume 'X'. This will flag it as offsite, which means that if there is
a saveset instance on that volume, and another instance of the saveset on
another volume that isn't marked as offsite, NetWorker will request that volume
instead of the 'offsite' one. Note that 'nsrmm -o offsite' is very different
from just setting a location flag of 'offsite'.

Yes, I see that now. Is there a way that I can query volumes with this value set to 'offsite' or 'notoffsite'? I checked the man page for mminfo, and the closest I can see is 'location', but as you said, that's something else entirely.

Once a volume flagged 'offsite' is inventoried in a library, the offsite flag
is cleared.

That's good.

Thanks for your help!

George

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

http://nsrd.info/blog                           NetWorker Blog
http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com          "Enterprise Systems Backup and
Recovery: A corporate insurance policy"

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -