Networker

Re: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test

2010-04-16 11:29:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:27:18 -0500
> STANLEY R. HORWITZ
>
> PowerLink, you will find a disaster recovery document for the
> appropriate NetWorker version, which you will find helpful in your DR
exercise.

Just a thought...  I realize the original post was Windows-oriented, so
this may or may not be of use.

We're on Solaris and for DR we have the usual mmrecov/scanner/nsrck, etc.
methods documented and tested. However, we keep a daily (if possible) copy
of our Networker data directory on tape. On Solaris, we're installed under
/nsr, and we just tar that entire directory tree (config, indexes and all)
to a small tape - DAT-72 or DDS4, depending on the server. For DR, install
Networker, lay down the contents of the "nsrback" tape to /nsr,
reconfigure any hardware changes, disable/delete tapes we don't physically
have access to and start recovering files. With this approach, we can
start file restores hours if not days ahead of what it take us otherwise.
So far for us, this method has worked fine in 6+ years of annual tests.

I have no experience with such a procedure under Windows, but as well as
it's worked for us on Solaris (albeit only in tests so far, knock on wood!
:-), I'd look into it if possible. There may be some registry backups
required, etc., but ... ? Of course, you still want the 'standard' method
fully tested and documented just in case there are issues, nonetheless.