Networker

Re: [Networker] Delta File Backup

2010-04-13 13:30:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Delta File Backup
From: Punitsingh Suryawanshi <punit.suryawanshi AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:56:47 +0530
Hello,

The solutions that you are looking for are very very expensive, this is
usually achieved by taking multiple snapshots couple of minutes/ hourly /
couple of hours. This is done on HW and you might require storage as big as
/ much bigger than your fileserver (to retain multiple copies for few days)

Talking about networker, what is the frequency of your incremental backup?
is it daily?
If yes and if the file was created and deleted in the same day before the
backup took place there is nothing much that you can do.
It depends what is the Backup policy in your company, IT policy in most of
the companies says that there should be at least one successful backup in 1
day (24 hours), mostly incremental daily weekly full.
You can run multiple backups in 24 hour window but you have to consider many
things, starting with-
* What is the data change rate (if you decide to take backup once every 6
hours / 12 hours, how much incremental backup will you generate)
* Will the first backup job finishe before the next kicks in?
* Do you have sufficient tapes to sustain your retention policy + Is
management ready to invest more for this solution.
* What is the impact / load on your file server.
* etc etc..

This will happen in a rare case so you need to ask is the data so critical
that it needs a similar solution?
Above is what you should consider before zeroing to anything. Networker is
surely not having any module.

Thanks,
-Punit

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Zachary Scheidegger <
zacharyscheidegger AT yvmh DOT org> wrote:

> Is there a module that would work with a file server to backup changes to
> files? We have had a problem in the past where a file was created and
> accidently deleted before the backup takes place. We have enabled shadow
> copy on the Windows file server and considered doing an incremental
> throughout the day. I was just curious if anyone knew of a way that could
> monitor file changes. Thanks very much in advance.

> type
> this
> list. You can access the archives at

Regards,