Networker

Re: [Networker] Unable to start/login to NMC following RHEL update

2010-03-31 19:20:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unable to start/login to NMC following RHEL update
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:18:01 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Unable to start/login to NMC following RHEL...:

For those of you that have moved NMC, did you preserve your history
information (i.e. move the NMC database(s))?  Any special tricks for
doing that?  Is the process well documented?

I don't believe I saved that GST database. You *should* be able to just
make a copy of it (when NMC isn't running), and then overwrite the GST
database on another virgin NMC, if you're interested in saving history.

My main concern was whether the database was architecture-sensitive.  Our
current NMC server is 32 bit RHEL 4.x, but if I move NMC elsewhere it's
likely going to be on a 64 bit box, and I don't know enough about the
underlying database engine to know if that's going to cause me problems.

Not
sure what that gives you, tho.

AFAIK, all of the trend information that you can report on via the NMC
reports functionality is in that database.  If you don't migrate the
database when you move your NMC server, you lose all of the information
that NMC has collected about your backup trends.

Note also that the default for NMC is to only keep that that information
for max of a year (some types of information is only for a couple weeks),
so unless you change that, you won't be able to do any reporting going
back farther than that.

Tim
edu