Networker

[Networker] 7.5.x or 7.6?

2010-03-31 14:25:23
Subject: [Networker] 7.5.x or 7.6?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:22:52 -0400
Over the weekend, I upgraded my NW 7.4.5 server and storage nodes to 7.5.2.
I choose the 7.5.x branch because it's been around longer, and has had 2
service packs to smooth out issues and kill bugs. And the 7.6 series has
not had any service packs (yet).

My boss was just asking what 7.6 offers that 7.5 does not, and why don't we
move to it, instead? And I realized I didn't know the answer. :-)

So what would 7.6 offer than 7.5 does not? We're a Windows shop only. I
have 9 storage nodes (some are clusters). I have a bunch of VMware clients
on an ESX cluster, but I back them up as standard clients, not as VCBs or
as virtual clients. I have about 15 SQL servers using the SQL Module (I
know that at some point, I will have to upgrade them to the NMM method, but
that seems fraught with peril, from the posts here).

So what would be better for me - 7.5 or 7.6? I can go look up the sales
pages on EMC and see what they say, buy I'm more interested in what the
real users say.

Thanks

--
Michael Leone