Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox license problem when truing to Unmount tape

2010-03-30 19:12:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox license problem when truing to Unmount tape
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:09:33 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Jukebox license problem when truing to...:

I am new to NW, so I don?t know how to use this JBEDIT command...my
question is: if I delete and recreate the jukebox, what happens with all
the tapes and all data in it? I cannot afford to loose the data on these
tapes....not an option.

Deleting the jukebox won't cause you to lose information about what's on
your tapes.  It will cause you to *temporarily* lose information about
where those tapes are, but that's easily remedied by performing a
Networker inventory after you've recreated your jukebox.

What you will lose is any custom configuration settings you've made to
your jukebox.

Off the top of my head, settings that you would want to check before
you delete your jukebox, and then verify after you've recreated, are

- the setting for "Auto Media Management".  Most sites will have this
  enabled/on, but verify and re-apply after the config.

- the setting for "Match bar code labels".  Whether you do this or not
  depends on site policy, but you'll definitely want to make sure it's
  set the same after you recreate your jukebox.

- the settings for "idle device timeout".

There are probably other commonly-changed settings that I'm forgetting
about.  What I do is dump (save to a file) the complete resource
definition for the jukebox before I delete, and then use that as a
reference for checking any settings I need to change after recreating.

I'm not certain whether your server is Windows or not, but here's a way
that will work for Windows and Linux/UNIX.

Create a plain text file named jb-basic.txt.  Put the following line in it:

print type: NSR Jukebox

Save the file and then execute

        nsradmin -i jb-basic.txt

That will print the commonly visible settings for your jukebox.  You can
re-run it and redirect the output to a file and save the file.

Now create a new file called jb-hidden.txt.  Put the following in it

option Hidden
print type: NSR Jukebox

Save the file and then execute

        nsradmin -i jb-hidden.txt

That will print out normal attributes plus "hidden" attributes, which
is quite a lot, including a few things that you may or may not have
customized.  Save that too.

If you wanted to, you could print out nearly everything stored in the
jukebox resource, including settings that change dynamically.  You would
do that via

option Hidden
option Dynamic
print type: NSR Jukebox

Note, however, that many of the settings are *dynamic*, meaning they
change as a normal part of the operation of the jukebox.  For example,
the settings for "volumes" changes when you import or export volumes from
your library.  Things like "messages", "event message", "current
capacity", etc. are all updated periodically to store updated info about
the jukebox.

Do note that if you delete your jukebox, you lose this "history
information" in all of these dynamic fields, but most people don't really
care.

Or...what would be the JBEDIT syntax to just reconfigure NW to see only
the 40 slots ?

Unfortunately, that I'm not certain of.  There is documentation for
jbedit, it might be worth reading up on it, to see if it will do what you
need.  I think it might, but I can't coach you on how to use it.

I've actually never used jbedit.  It's a "recent" addition to NetWorker.
By the time it was added to the product, I already knew how to reconfigure
jukebox settings either the extremely dangerous way (editing the resource
directly) or by just recreating the jukebox, which for smaller jukeboxes
is pretty easy and pretty straightforward.  The larger your jukebox is,
though, the less palatable it is to recreate.

Good luck!

Tim
edu