Networker

[Networker] Splitting client savesets retention and schedules

2010-03-30 15:21:19
Subject: [Networker] Splitting client savesets retention and schedules
From: Greg Etling <getling AT STERN.NYU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:17:52 -0400
Let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who posts to this list - you have helped me learn this product from the inside out over the past year!

</newbie love>

So I have an interesting scenario that I'm trying to design out correctly so we don't use a lot of tape (gotta love management wrongheadedness):

Single client with iSCSI storage (appears local)
Client filesystem - standard 3 month retention, full every 2 weeks (5 on the off week), incr rest of the time iSCSI filesystem (4 mountpoints) - ? retention, full every 4 months, skip rest of the time

The issue I need to understand for the above is how to have iscsi 'full' savesets expire immediately after the following full is complete and valid - not before or after. I'm unclear on how these fulls will rely on the rest of the filesystem for their dependencies, and what retention to then set on them to force the desired expiration.
===
Current planned settings for the two client instances:
---
Instance 1:
Saveset: ALL
Retention/Browse: Quarter
Directive:
   << /mnt >>
       +skip: * .?*

Instance2:
Saveset:
/mnt/vol1
/mnt/vol2
/mnt/vol3
/mnt/vol4
Retention/Browse: ??
Directive: Standard
===

Questions that need answering:

1) Are the directives set up correctly for the filesystem incr's to not rely on the iSCSI volumes - and does this approach work with having them expire as intended? 2) What retention should work for the iSCSI fulls: 4 months, 2 weeks, or something else entirely? 3) Side note: For this to work as intended, would it help to set the filesystem fulls on the same 'every 4 month' schedule?

(FYI - iSCSI filesystem is otherwise to be protected by snapshots, and I do understand the risks involved)

Many thanks,
Greg
---
Greg Etling <getling AT stern.nyu DOT edu <mailto:getling AT stern.nyu DOT edu>>
Systems Administrator
Stern IT Enterprise Operations
NYU Stern School of Business

212-998-0746