Networker

[Networker] NetWorker 7.5 SP1 on Caiman

2010-03-24 03:40:44
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker 7.5 SP1 on Caiman
From: stes AT pandora DOT be
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:38:51 +0000
Hi,

FYI, NetWorker 7.5 SP1 seems to run fine on OpenSolaris 'caiman' for SPARC.

                        arch: sparc;
                 kernel arch: sun4u;
                          OS: SunOS 5.11;

The nsrauth (SSL stuff with the NSR peer info stuff) works fine,
even when OpenSSL is a different release in my opinion than on Solaris 10.

I was actually surprised by this, because it seems the SPARC binaries do not
link directly against openssl.

That's different (unfortunately) on x64, it seems the SPARC binaries are built
differently compared to the x64 bins, where unfortunately if you start NW on
Solaris 11 it will complain that it can't find OpenSSL 0.9.7.  That issue does
NOT occur on SPARC.

I believe we run OpenSSL 0.9.7 on Solaris 10 and 0.9.8l on OpenSolaris:

# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8l 5 Nov 2009 (+ security fixes for: CVE-2009-1377 CVE-2009-1378
CVE-2009-1379 CVE-2009-2409)

# cat /etc/release
                      OpenSolaris Development snv_131 SPARC
           Copyright 2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                            Assembled 14 January 2010

# pkgadd -d .

NetWorker Client(sparc) 7.5.1.Build.269
Copyright (c) 1990-2009, EMC Corporation
This product includes software developed by the University of
California, Berkeley and its contributors.

# nsrexecd

# nsradmin -s localhost -v1 -p nsrexec
NetWorker administration program.
Use the "help" command for help, "visual" for full-screen mode.
nsradmin> print
                        type: NSRLA;
                        name: caiman;
 NW instance info operations: ;
       NW instance info file: ;
          installed products: ;
                     version: EMC NetWorker 7.5.1.Build.269 03/21/09;
                     servers: ;
                auth methods: "0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/oldauth";
               administrator: root, "user=root,host=caiman";
                        arch: sparc;
                 kernel arch: sun4u;
                          OS: SunOS 5.11;
           NetWorker version: 7.5.1.Build.269;
              client OS type: Solaris;
                        CPUs: 2;
                     MB used: 4023;
                  IP address: 172.16.0.142, "fe80::a00:20ff:fefb:12f7";

                        type: NSR remote agent;
                        name: Filesystem;
                 backup type: Filesystem;
             product version: ;
remote agent protocol version: 1;
                    features: Configuration, List Directory;
     remote agent executable: nsrfsra;
            backup type icon: ;

                        type: NSR log;
               administrator: root, "user=root,host=caiman";
                       owner: NetWorker;
             maximum size MB: 2;
            maximum versions: 10;
        runtime rendered log: ;
                        name: daemon.raw;
                    log path: /nsr/logs/daemon.raw;
nsradmin> quit

So it seems all of the old NetWorker bins are just binary compatible with
CAIMAN (OpenSolaris).

I only tried NW 7.5 SP1 but it looks like just all of the NW binaries will just
work.

David Stes