Networker

[Networker] NDMP backups on Celera 82g - snapsure Q and multiple stream

2010-03-20 19:13:41
Subject: [Networker] NDMP backups on Celera 82g - snapsure Q and multiple stream
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:11:11 -0400
brokentree wrote:
> 1. What exactly is snapsure and how do I veryify that my CIFS share
> supports it?  Should I even be using the option 'SNAPSURE=y".  It was
> set up on out previous NAS, but just got upgraded and trying to get
> things back to the way they were before.
>
> 2. Before our EMC migration upgrade from 702 to 82g I was able to get
> 3 separate NDMP streams to my 3 defined NDMP devices.  Now it will
> only accept 1 stream and I am obviously having a hard time stayuing
> within backup window with 1/3 of target available!  I have the drives
> set to 1 target session which is about the only config I did or know
> to do on the drives after the reconfig of library.
> Thanks

Snapsure is a checkpointing technology for the Celerra and is a function of
your Celerra's DART code, not the CIFS server.

There are several possible answers to the question of whether "SNAPSURE=Y" is
needed or not, which depend on the version of DART and Networker in your shop.
Check the release notes for your version of NW, as well as the NDMP
documentation for Networker and the NDMP documentation for the Celerra.

The good news is you should be able to have up to 4 streams to separate tape
devices from each datamover.  Four is the limit for NDMP.

HTH
--brerrabbit