Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup next step: dedup or BMR, or both?

2010-03-19 17:12:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup next step: dedup or BMR, or both?
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:10:26 -0400
On 03 19, 2010, at 9:52 AM, tbirkenbach wrote:

> Recently I received the "dog and pony" show from EMC on their Data Domain and
> Avamar products, which they suggest is the "next step" in progressing my
> NetWorker backup solution.  I agree with them in that dedup and/or bare metal
> recovery (BMR) would be an enhancement to a backup solution.  It got me to
> thinking...
>
> What do you, as my fellow backup admins, feel is a higher priority, dedup or
> BMR?
>
> Personally, I feel that BMR would be the service that I, as a systems admin,
> would want from a backup solution.  I realize that some products, such as
> EMC's Avamar product, can do both BMR and dedup; so you CAN have your cake
> and eat it too, but it comes with the EMC sticker shock too...
>
> Just curious as to what others have done or are doing in progressing their
> backup solutions.  Any shared insight is greatly appreciated.

I do not think there is a one size fits all answer to your question. It depends
on your employer's requirements and budget. For us, de-dup is far more
important than BMR, although BMR would be nice. We have a DR box for each of
our most important servers already configured to stand in if its production
counterpart bites the dust. Of course, our DR boxes are in a DR site. As such,
our requirements tilt toward protecting application data far more than they do
protecting the components of BMR. Also, it really isn't a one or the other
situation as far as de-dup and BMR are concerned. You have to protect your
application data, and the best way to do that is site specific, but BMR will
likely not help you there, so BMR is not a substitute for de-dup or any other
data protection technology.