Networker

[Networker] ZFS deduplication.

2010-03-14 15:59:21
Subject: [Networker] ZFS deduplication.
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:58:49 +0200
A few days ago I read a post to EMC's Networker forum by Nicholas Bone (https://community.emc.com/thread/99839?tstart=0). He reported a test he performed with AFTD which was running on top of ZFS with dedup. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get any reasonable dedup ratios (1.03 for three full savesets of the the same file system). My conclusion was that Networker does not align files at block level, which confuses the ZFS dedup code. Is anyone familiar with some flag or any configuration option which will convince save or AFTD to do the right thing so that ZFS will be able to find identical blocks ?

--

-- Yaron.