Networker

[Networker] Quick backup site question for university admins

2010-03-11 19:30:23
Subject: [Networker] Quick backup site question for university admins
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:29:05 +1100
Hi,
we are doing a refresh of our backup infrastructure this year.

I was wondering if anyone from other Uni's around the globe might have some input for us, so we can benchmark sort of where we are and what we are doing.

Our uni has 130 Terabytes of data which is backed up weekly, 260 a fortnight.
We have 250 Terabytes of data directly under management on the NAS/SAN/CAS.
About 100 TB of this should be backed up actively.
All of the above volumes will double by the end of the year.

What are other Universities and Tertiary Institutions doing to backup
equivalent data volumes?

Currently we use Networker 7.4.2 with Sun L700 tape libraries (x2) We use LTO-2 on the older system and LTO-3 on the new one.

Both have discrete Legato servers controlling things, because they are
geographically separated.

We run a variety of EMC equipment, celerras, centerra's, SAN, NAS, NDMP and so
on.
Legato is run on Sun SPARC etc....

A mix of Solaris SPARC and MS Windows systems are our clients, with about 300 clients on the older system and about 100 or so on the new one, with migrations to the newer
system happening periodically as required.

If anyone would like to broadly compare with us, their implementations and usage, publically or privatetly, it would be quite helpful to us!

Cheers....

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT