Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.4.4 and McAfee 8.5 issues?

2010-03-09 19:30:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.4.4 and McAfee 8.5 issues?
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:29:10 -0600
Welcome to my world, as I spent 4 months working on this with both McAfee and
EMC.

If you use Networker Procedure Generator there is now a section devoted to
this.   Check out the KB articles on McAfee.

You basically exclude the Networker directory from being scanned during
backups, and a couple of other things.

Let me know if you still have problems.  We finally got ours solved, but it
still runs slower than when it was on 7.2.2

>From the procedure generator:
Antivirus considerations
When performing backups of Windows machines running antivirus software,
undesirable behaviors occur when the antivirus software is not tuned for backup
environments.
1.    Configure the Antivirus avoid scanning files which are opened for backup:
       Uncheck Opened for Backup in the Advanced Auto-Protect options for
Norton Antivirus.
       McAfee Knowledgebase article KB53787 provides information for McAfee
8.7i.
       McAfee Knowledgebase article KB53781 provides information for McAfee
8.0i and 8.5i.
2.    Configure Antivirus software to exclude the monitoring of NetWorker bin
directory (C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin) and advanced file type device
directories:
       For Norton Antivirus, Norton knowledgebase article provides details on
how to configure an exclusions list.
       For McAfee, McAfee knowledgebase article KB50998 provides details on
how to configure exclusions.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk