Networker

Re: [Networker] Splitting up large directory save jobs into smaller pieces (aka. "parallelizing")

2010-03-03 09:18:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Splitting up large directory save jobs into smaller pieces (aka. "parallelizing")
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:16:18 -0500
On 03 3, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Ronny Egner wrote:

> I am aware this problem can be solved by using NDMP and some kind of block
> based backup approach rather than a file based one. But i´d like to have a
> script a hand which automatically splits up large save jobs into smaller ones
> (a guess i am not the only one).
>
> Feedbacks? Comments? Any other ideas?

You have a rough road to travel in either approach. Much better is for your
clients to organize their file systems in an optimal way that facilitates
effective backups and overall use of the data on their servers. Just piling
files and directories onto a file system without concern for how the data will
be protected is a poor strategy and scripting one's way around that deficiency
isn't a good idea in my humble opinion, regardless of which backup solution is
in use.