Networker

Re: [Networker] Why is scanner so slow?

2010-03-01 03:11:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why is scanner so slow?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:09:25 +0000
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 04:48:59PM -0500, George Sinclair wrote:

> >>why can't NW do the same thing when using the '-m' option to rebuild
> >>the media index? Why does it have to read the data to do that?
> >
> >The media database includes the location of every fragment of the SSID.
>
> What option is that in mminfo? Can I query on that?

You can, more more likely you want to report on it.  Here's something
that I think is intentional, but not really mentioned in the manual.

If you look at the 'mminfo' man page, at about the middle you see the
list of attributes.  If you look closely, there are two breaks in the
list with a blank line separating.  With a few exceptions, this divides
the list into things dealing with "volumes", "save sets", and
"fragments" or "sections" of a saveset.  If your report only has volume
things, then you get a volume-based report.

So a simple query and a ssid report will show one line for each ssid on
each volume that it appears.

mminfo -q 'ssid=<ssid>' -r 'volume,ssid'

But by asking for fragment information, you'll get one line per
fragment.

mminfo -q 'ssid=<ssid>' -r 'volume,ssid,fragsize,mediafile,mediarec'

> 1. So, lets say that you're scanning a 100 GB save set, and you're
> not rebuilding the client file index entries (-i), just the media
> data base entry (-m). Under normal circumstances if it took you 1.5
> hours to back up/recover that amount of data then can you expect it
> to possibly take that long to scan in the save set, accounting, of
> course, for the fact that you're not sending anything over the
> network? Is it reasonable to assume that the scan would be no slower
> than backing it up?

It is reasonable to assume the scan would be no slower.

> 2. If you're using '-f mediafile -r mediarec' options then it should
> be reasonably quick to get it at least to the start of the save set,
> correct?

Correct.  Just like doing a saveset recovery.

> 3. What about when you're rebuilding the client file index entries
> (-i)? How much more time does that generally add?

I don't *think* it does record forwarding during only-media rebuilds, so
it should be about the same time.

Under normal circumstances file index data isn't so heavy that it should
slow down scanner ops.  I suppose if you have a very slow index disk and
very small files on the saveset, it could slow down the scanner.  But
normally it shouldn't be noticable.

--
Darren