Networker

[Networker] Tape Rotation Basics--advice needed

2010-02-25 02:53:15
Subject: [Networker] Tape Rotation Basics--advice needed
From: jeremyt <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:05:13 -0500
Hello--

I have some questions about best practices for offsite rotation.  I'm not new
to Networker but setting up and defining an offsite rotation is new to me.
Every other place I've worked at its always been defined, in place and a had
published routine to follow.

In my environment I have a VTL (EMC DL3D) with a large PTL (iScalar).  I have
my groups, pools and auto clone jobs (to the PTL) configured at the group level
but am unsure on best practices for rotating the tapes out for offsite storage.

Every client runs a full backup on one night of the week with incrementals
running on the other 6 nights.

I'm confused about when to rotate to offsite?  Should I just send whatever
tapes from the clone pool (all groups clone to the one pool) are full on the
regular scheduled weekly pickup basis?

Is there a better practice I'm missing or a better way to implement offsite
rotation?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!