Networker

[Networker] SV: [Networker] Linux vs Windows

2010-02-23 07:55:44
Subject: [Networker] SV: [Networker] Linux vs Windows
From: Mattila Johannes <johannes.mattila AT TULLVERKET DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:53:04 +0100
You will get slightly more performence from Linux writing against disk, but not
so much it makes a certain diffence and slightly better ip performence against
other linux and unix systems if u configure it right. Windows might get a bit
more performance against windows clients and are a bit more stable in my view.
I use might as its alot to do with what optimzation that is done. Different
filesystems makes a difference as well and could change the map compleatly.

Can say that you REALLY need to know how to optimize linux or do some research
to get it to run smooth while windows dont need as much as its little to do
that will improve performance. So I would say if majority clients are windows
there might be a benefit other than that it's a question of what they know best
and would be best at optimizing and supporting.

Johannes Mattila
Server win2k3
Storage nodes Linux RH 5.2