Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux vs Windows

2010-02-17 08:20:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux vs Windows
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:19:22 -0500
Besides the fact that Linux has better I/O throughput on the same
hardware as Windows, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the substantial
increased cost associated with moving a NW server to Windows from Linux
(I like to call it the Microsoft Tax). I've always felt that NW simply
runs better on Linux/Unix and I know at one time the development
platform for NW was Solaris, not sure what it is now. If that's still
true, then it always has to be ported/converted to run on Windows and
most (if not all) software suffers a performance hit after going through
such a port or conversion...