Networker

Re: [Networker] Datadomain with NetWorker / EDL

2010-02-17 05:59:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Datadomain with NetWorker / EDL
From: kel AT STERIA DOT DK
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:57:19 +0100
We are using a dd690g and a dd580g both with a hitachi SAN behind, and
have been using it for near line over a year. the 690g was put into
production this january.

Using networker 7.6 on windows 2003, with some gigabit links, the DD are
used as adv file type devices.
I know for a fact we still need some tuning done. But excatly where, is
the question, we see performance from 4 kb/s up to 50 MB/s for a single
stream.

We have a tape library for off site clones, but the Datadomain itself is
located here at the office site, while most of our production machinces
are located at remote site, so backups are already off site, which makes
the clone mere a security copy ;)

I am quite happy with my DD's they do reguire some config to start with,
but after that its only to update the firmware, unless u plan to use them
for other stuff..

We use them for our Symantec Enterprise Vault services too, it snap in to
DD, the backups are then run to tape, once a week.

We have also used the DD for NFS share towards our vmware servers, used
them as temporary storage for migrations etc etc. even ran a few vm from a
DD box for a period of time, worked fine really..

All in all, I am happy with DD setup, there are still places to improve
perfomrnace, but the time is a factor, its not only my time, its also the
network dudes time, and they say nothing is wrong with the network :)

All in all I find them very versatile, and easy to mange, and with the new
Enterprise manager u have 1 webpage to see a quick status of your DD
enviroment, which is nice!

EMC will eventually get better integration with DD, as they did with
Avamar, I am sure of that, although I know nothing for a fact. I also
belive the DD technology with creep into other EMC products.

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Kenneth Larsen
System Konsulent

Steria A/S