Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone using bladeservers for networker with a VTL?

2010-02-10 20:55:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone using bladeservers for networker with a VTL?
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:54:09 -0500
On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:44 PM, rmumford wrote:

> We're considering moving our stand alone servers and storage nodes to
> bladecenter, but there's concerns around the limited number of HBAs you can
> have on a blade. There's also concerns about sharing them with other blades
> and having tape data mixed with disk data on the same HBAs. Anyone doing this
> now? If so how does it work, are there any issues etc? Thanks.

In my moderately humble opinion, blades offer a lot of useful functionality in
many situations, but I think it would be a mistake to run a NetWorker server
off a blade. I have a NetWorker 7.4.4 server on a Dell 2950 with Linux. That
2950 is connected via four fiber links to a Qualstar tape library with four
LTO-3 tape drives. It is a real workhorse, but all its slots are full and I
would like to add another network card to it. I couldn't imagine running a
NetWorker server on a blade for exactly the reason you stated, limited number
of expansion slots and I/O bandwidth on the shared blade HBAs. On the other
hand, using a blade to run a storage node might be a different story depending
on what the storage node needs to do and what type of backup storage needs to
be connected to it.

In your decision, try to set up a calculation of how much throughput you need
in order to complete backups within your backup window, then look at the
hardware capabilities of the blades you are considering and see if it is up to
the task. If at all possible, do some real testing with a demo unit before you
decide to move forward with a blade-based backup server.