Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO4 Hardware Encryption -- proposal

2010-02-09 07:55:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO4 Hardware Encryption -- proposal
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:53:22 -0500

We already use the key manager from Quantum and we do encrypt our LTO-4 tapes.
Other than making sure that we have a separate backup of the key management
software and the keys themselves, there is no overhead.  It's automated and it
works.  It's been a year and I haven't looked into it, but the only feature(s)
missing is the ability to import/export the keys for a DR situation.  It was on
the todo list the last time that I looked.  This is not dependent on Networker
which is not the software that we use under all backup circumstances.  More
than likely, we would not use that feature should it appear in the capabilities.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI
Sr. Linux System Administrator