Networker

Re: [Networker] How to recover Networker 7.4.4 index on 7.2

2010-02-05 15:13:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to recover Networker 7.4.4 index on 7.2
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:08:50 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] How to recover Networker 7.4.4 index on 7.2,...:

We recently upgraded our NW to 7.4.4 while the DR site still on 7.2.  We
do a tar of /nsr/res, /nsr/mm and /nsr/index and ftp to DR server daily.
By the way, we tar the directories while NW is running.

Dangerous if any backups or maintenance (nsrck, nsrim, etc.) is taking
place or even any jukebox commands are being run at the time, but
otherwise it will work, as long as the "tar" command you use does not
expand sparse files.

On DR server, we then stop the NW, untar the file and moved the
/nsr/index and /nsr/mm to replace the original files.  But we fail to
bring it up.  It is showing some mmdb error and shutdown the nsrmmdbd
down.

There were index format changes that happened at NetWorker 7.3.x.  I
believe the only changes were to the media database, but I could be wrong
about that.

When you upgraded your primary site from 7.2.x to 7.4.x, your media
database was converted to a newer format.  This format is incompatible
with 7.2.x servers.

Is that possbile to recovery the NW7.4.4 index/mm to 7.2?

Not really.  You have two options

- upgrade your DR site to at least 7.3.x (which is EOL now or soon, so
  you might as well go to 7.4.x).

- downgrade your production site back to 7.2 and use the last bootstrap
  that you did under 7.2 to essentially do a DR on your production system.
  This reloads the old indexes, including the media database in the 7.2.x
  format.

  IF YOU DO THIS, you would lose information on *all* backups that had
  been done since you upgraded to 7.4.x.  You're essentially restoring
  NetWorker to a point in time before the upgrade, which means that it
  forgets all the information about what has happened since.

  You could use "scanner" to repopulate your media database and online
  indexes with information on what has happened since the bootstrap you
  loaded from, but realistically you're talking about a lot of work and
  you would be downgrading to a version of NetWorker that hasn't been
  supported in years.

Tim
edu