Networker

[Networker] How do I verify files where backed up?

2010-02-04 16:08:46
Subject: [Networker] How do I verify files where backed up?
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:06:08 -0500
How do I go about verifying that my files were backed up?

(I apologize if this was previously answered.  I didn't come across this
subject in my searches)

This, as always, stems from a current problem.  I have a sys admin that
insists that NetWorker is missing or skipping files during the backup.  He
has a directory of archived log files where some of those files don't get
backed up.  They all have the same file extension and most of those files do
get backed up.

I've checked for:
1) global directives - none applied
2) local directives - none exist

Even after a few days worth of backups, there are still some of the files
that never get backed up, yet NetWorker tells me "Success!" for the backup.
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.  Essentially, what I'm thinking is to
come up with a list of files I have on the client system, perform a backup,
and then compare those lists.

NetWorker is v7.3.4 on Solaris 8 for my production unit and 7.6 on Solaris
10 on my test unit.  Outcome is the same on both.  System being backed up is
AIX 5.  Client installed is v7.6.

I'm relatively new to Unix and I'm sure all the pieces are there to do a
fine comparison report (if that what it takes to prove/disprove the missing
files), but for this task I'm having troubles finding the right pieces and
putting them together.  Any input or suggestion would be greatly
appreciated.

-Tom B.