Networker

Re: [Networker] aes asm not working (manaul backup)

2010-02-03 03:15:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] aes asm not working (manaul backup)
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:13:11 +1100
Hi Tim,

On 03/02/2010, at 17:19 , tkimball wrote:
> All involved systems are solaris 10 Sparc.  Server is 7.4.4 EBS, client is
> 7.4.1 EBS IIRC (at least 7.4).
>
> I need to enable Client Encryption on one of our manual backups (run from
> save cmd on client).  After some trial and error (and an incorrect manpage on
> asm names *sigh*) I see a test backup of /etc, from save command, using the
> aes asm on the client.
>
> However, a recovery test on another system does not ask you for the
> passphrase (which I set in the Server Config under NMC).  I'm using the
> recover command instead of nwrecover for testing.
>
> So, is this actually using Encryption or not?  Do Encrypted backups use the
> server passphrase when running manually?  I don't care either way as long as
> I can assure the client its encrypted - default passphrase will suffice for
> now.
>
> The directive (placed in /etc for the test) is straightforward:
>
> +aes: *

It's been a little while since I configured an encryption setup. However, from
memory once the password is set in the datazone, it holds true for all
backup/recovery operations in the datazone. Try removing the passphrase and see
whether that helps (or failing that, remove the passphrase and stop/restart
NetWorker).

The other option when running the manual backup is to run save -v; this should
tell you what asm's it invokes.

I could be wrong though ... it's been a couple of months.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise