Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Firewall Setings

2010-01-25 12:28:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Firewall Setings
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:26:09 -0500
I have several clients behind local firewalls. Assuming you are using NetWorker 7.4 or higher, you should set the ports on the clients as follows:

nsrports -S 7939-7940

Leave the connection ports alone.

Set up the firewall to allow related traffic in. When you start nsrexecd it will use ports 7937-7940, so make sure your server can get in through those ports to initiate the traffic with the client. The server will send hostname and port information to the client and the client (via save commands) will initiate the connection back to the server (or storage node) -- from some connection port.

If you are talking about a firewall that is NOT physically on the client (ie a firewall system between the client and the server), then you will have to set up the connection ports and the server ports as well on both the server and the client.

This is all documented in the admin guide.

Frank