Networker

Re: [Networker] VM BACKUPS USING VCB

2010-01-21 23:12:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] VM BACKUPS USING VCB
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:10:21 -0600
We're using NW 7.5.1 and backing up about 200 VM's...  (300 more to come
this month).

We don't have much data under each VM and we've gone sans VCB and are very
happy with it.

Buy a license for each VMWare ESX server as a virtual client connection,
install client under every VM, and dump them into a few groups...  We're
only doing full's once a month, and have not experienced complaints.  We
tried to group the VMWare clients by application so they are spread more
evenly across the farm.

We are not getting backups of the actual vmdk today, but this hasn't been
seen as a significant issue in our environment, also eventually when CDP is
brought in they'll get point in time snapshots.

Alec