Networker

[Networker] How does nsrclone order a list of SSIDs for cloning?

2009-12-28 13:48:29
Subject: [Networker] How does nsrclone order a list of SSIDs for cloning?
From: bbartick <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:47:34 -0500
brerrabbit wrote:

> bbartick wrote:
> > We recently rolled out a VTL and I'm in the process of scripting the
> > cloning process. From the testing I've done, it seems as though nsrclone
> > does not clone the SSIDs in the order you pass to the command.
> > I'd love to clone the oldest savesets first so that I can roll them off the
> > VTL first.
> > I was thinking I could do something similar to:
> >
> > mminfo -ot -q "pool=VTL1,copies=1,!incomplete,savetime<21 days ago" -r ssid
> > --> output to a file $FILE
> >

> > Then I will clone the ssids
> >
> > nohup nsrclone -b "$POOL" -y "$RETENTION" -J "$NODE" -S -f $FILE &
> >
> > I was surprised to see my savesets aren't being cloned in the order of the
> > savesets in the file.
> > Can anyone tell me how nsrclone determines which savesets will be cloned
> > first?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Brett
>

> I don't believe that this info is publicly available, we've looked into this
> previously and it wasn't.  In fact, we had an Networker resident from EMC on
> site and he couldn't get the info either.  Maybe things have changed, I've
> got a mod to our clone script I'd like to implement and having that info
> would simplify things greatly.
>
> --brerrabit

My quess is that the internal logic has something to do with minimizing the
number of tape changes. It looks like if you are cloning a particular saveset,
the system will try and find other savesets from the mounted tape that might
need to be cloned. With a physical tape, this makes perfect sense, but with a
VTL and quick tape changes, maybe there should be an option to nsrclone to obey
the provided list of saveset IDs.
BTW: my pseudo code above had a type-o. copies should be "2", not "1".