Networker

Re: [Networker] Creating fake \\.\TapeX devices in Wintel

2009-12-13 22:24:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Creating fake \\.\TapeX devices in Wintel
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:22:16 -0500
Hi

There are at least two techniques that provide persistent naming for tape
devices in Windows environments.  Here are two that I've tested with NetWorker,
and know that they work.

1. Microsoft Windows
[Microsoft Knowledgebase article 873337]
Windows 2003 SP1 and later provide persistent names for tape devices.  If the
following Registry entry is created:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Tape\Persistence [DWORD
value of 1]

and the system is rebooted, device file \\.\Tape0 becomes something like
\\.\Tape2147483646, which is persistent.  Note, however, that this feature may
not work correctly for IBM tape devices if the IBM Tape Driver is also
installed.

2. IBM Tape Driver
The 'IBM Tape Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide' describes
persistent naming support.  This support began in v6.1.6.2 of the IBM Tape
Driver.  To use this feature:
*       Install the driver
*       Add a value in the registry called PersistentNaming and assign it a
value 1 at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmtp2k3
*       reboot

This provides device files of the form \\.\Tape4801105 that do persist when
other devices are added or removed.  NetWorker V7.5 can use these devices
(NetWorker bug LGTsc17131 addressed and fixed an earlier problem that prevented
use of these persistently-named device special files).

tl