Networker

Re: [Networker] Question about Cloning

2009-12-08 14:28:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question about Cloning
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:26:02 -0600
> Long Nguyen
>
> We are trying to clone the full backups  to tapes, do you know what is
the
> advantage of cloning from tapes vs savesetID (ssid)? and do you have any
> custom clone script to share?

It depends on your specific environment. You'll need to ask yourself a few
question, including -

* What do you want to clone (specific backups, specific days,
  specific clients, etc.)?

* How are those backups typically laid across media? That is,
  are they spread across a number of tapes, or grouped together
  on just a few tapes?

...and probably several others.

We always clone SSIDs one way or another, since we don't have full backups
segregated into different pools from differential backups, etc. Trying to
clone at the volume level would cause us to clone many (fragments of)
savesets that are not in our policy. So, we clone one of two ways,
depending on the backups:

1. Setup the group itself to clone upon completion of backups

2. Run custom clone jobs that read SSID list files. Eg.,
   'nsrclone -b clone_pool -S -f /tmp/full_backups.ssid'.
   Those SSID files are generated using mminfo queries.

Tape-to-tape is convenient if you know all of your backup is on a specific
tape or tapes. However, when the backup you want to clone is mixed in with
lots of others in the same pool and/or media, I think SSID-based clones
are much more efficient and targeted.

My $0.02   :-)