Networker

[Networker] Persistent Binding

2009-12-04 08:58:21
Subject: [Networker] Persistent Binding
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:55:38 -0500
Anyone use "persistent binding" on Solaris in order to get the tape drives
to be consistently recognized across multiple/shared storage nodes?  Are
there pros and cons to this?

I came across a small issue where, in setting up a server and two storage
nodes with shared drives (fiber SAN connected), the drives would show up
with different numeric values under /dev/rmt/#cbn.  (please note that I'm
essentially a Solaris "noob", so please bear with me) In doing a bit of
research, I came across "persistent binding" and set that up on my storage
nodes (including server) and it seems to work in getting my tape drives to
be recognized consistently.

My question are:
1) Is there a reason to NOT use persistent binding?

2) Is there a better way in getting fiber connected tape drives to be
recognized in a consistent manner?

Any input and insight is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!