Networker

Re: [Networker] How to configure library using nmc?

2009-11-19 13:25:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to configure library using nmc?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:23:17 -0500
Thierry FAIDHERBE wrote:
I find this NMC interface very similar to the Windows admin. tool under
the old 7.2.x. There were some nice things about that when compared with
nwadmin under Unix, but over all, I preferred the Unix interface. This
new interface almost seems like a marriage between the two, but I still
miss nwadmin. Seemed so much simpler and more straight forward.
I miss it too. However I have begrudgingly come to appreciate the power
and increased functionality that the NMC offers. It has some quirks, and
still a fairly large number of bugs, but it's here to stay so we'd all
better get used to it.

Nothing prevents you to use old 7.2.x nwadmin (or even WinAdmin from 6.x)
to monitor what's your server is doing (like nsrwatch in Unix world). Although it is working quite fine, I strongly advise not using it for updating config ! :-)

Holy cow, you're right! EUREKA!!!!! Gee, I had no idea I could do that. And, no, I'm not being sarcastic. Oh, now, the temptation ... the temptation to just use it to configure something, just a "little" something just to get back at it for all the frustration it's caused me and is likely to continue to burden me with until I get past the learning curve. But, no, I'll resist. I know I must, and as Davina pointed out, there is power and functionality there. I just need to humble myself and learn to use it; so I'll use nwadmin only for monitoring and, of course, to reminisce on the good old days!

Yesterday, I did play around with nsrwatch, and that worked just fine, but I guess I'd forgotten that nwadmin would also work - and I assume it's been discussed before and isn't news to most of you - or maybe I simply never knew that. Regardless, the first thing I did after installing the server and NMC was to hunt for nwadmin, hoping (like a ship lost at sea) that maybe, just maybe, it might be there, never mind the fact that I knew otherwise, and the fact that it doesn't need to be, even under the old 7.2.x.

Anyway, it's nice to know that I can still use nwadmin. I think I'll keep it around even after all the clients have been upgraded.

Here's a question, though:

I assume there's no reason that a 7.5 SP1 client couldn't launch the nwadmin program? I'm running it from a 7.2.x client. How about a client that's not even running the NW software?

George

Th