Networker

[Networker] NW server gets unresponsive when processing jobs

2009-11-16 11:08:15
Subject: [Networker] NW server gets unresponsive when processing jobs
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:05:35 -0500
NW 7.4.5.1. on Win2003. The server is Win2003 Standard, 4G RAM.

My server has gotten increasingly unresponsive when processing jobs. For
example, when I have 3 cloning jobs running (no saves; just cloning from
AFTD devices), moving from MONITORING to DEVICES in the NMC gives me the
"connecting to server" msg, and a few seconds wait. Sometimes longer. And
I've now sometimes also seen "Server does not respond to UDP ping", and
jobs failing, as well. I've had client backups fail with RPC errors.
Reboot the NW server, and everything works exactly as it should. For a
while ...

I'm looking throught the 7.4 Performance Tuning Guide now. Any immediate
suggestions?

I upgraded from 7.4.2 (where this problem of slow NMC response was
starting to manifest itself) to 7.4.5. A few days after that, I also
upgraded the hardware (I had 2 libraries, each FC, but each tape drive was
not individually fiber connected. I removed 1 library; removed the 4
SDLT-600 drives from the remaining library, and replaced with 8 FC
connected LTO-4 drives). So now I have 1 library, with 8 fiber connected
LTO-4 drives.

Since the hardware upgrade, the problem has only gotten worse.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Specific areas to look at?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM