Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO4 encryption key management

2009-11-12 11:09:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO4 encryption key management
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:07:44 -0500
On 11/12/09 12:07 AM, STANLEY R. HORWITZ wrote:
On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:30 PM, Gold, Evan wrote:

Hello All,

I currently run LTO2 , Legato 7.5.1 on windows and want to upgrade to LTO4.
With LTO4 I would stop using legato software encryption (which is slow and
cannot encrypt NDMP), and start using LTO4 hardware encryption.
I need to encrypt NDMP backups.

I am trying to find out the best way to manage LTO4 encryption keys using
legato 7.5.1.

I want the ability to restore my LTO4 encrypted tapes at a remote site using
only legato and a stand alone LTO4 tape drive.
Does anyone know if that is possible?

I have spoken to library vendors and each of those claims I must have their
jukebox to perform restores.
I do not want to buy a second library just for disaster recovery offsite.

What are other people doing for this?

Will Legato be able to handle the key management in a future release?

I heard Netbackup can handle the key management now, but legato cannot.

NetWorker has no provision to handle encryption keys for LTO-4 devices now. Contact EMC to see if they anticipate that feature coming to NetWorker within your desired time frame.

It was supposed to be in 7.5sp2 -- but that has never been released. I have confirmed with my EMC rep that it isn't in the newly announced 7.6 either.