Networker

Re: [Networker] Stage savesets from AFTD to tape

2009-11-11 17:32:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stage savesets from AFTD to tape
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:30:29 -0500
On 11/11/2009 04:38 PM, Tom Birkenbach wrote:
Preston,

You suggest using, or example, volume=Y.RO as a query element.  How would
this work if I have ten AFTDs to read from?  Do you recommend staging
savesets from one AFTD at a time, or can I include multiple AFTDs as the
savesetID/cloneID source?  Reason being, from a lazy perspective, I don't
want to have to run this process for each and every AFTD I have.  :o)

I realize I could (probably) use:
# mminfo -q 'volume=a.RO,volume=b.RO,volume=c.RO,...' -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/
| grep -v ssid

Tom,

You are going to want to stage them individually -- because NetWorker is stupid enough that it will lock every single one of the .RO volumes until they all finish if you run them all together! That means NO RECOVERs can happen while you are staging the data. I don't know how big your AFTD's are, but it can take a while... and customers get upset...

Also, the reason I was using in the query 'clones=2' is that my method would
read both the AFTD and AFTD.RO.  If number of copies = only 2, then the
saveset doesn't have a copy elsewhere.  If copies = 3, then that tells me
there's a clone on tape, as there should be.

So, just so I'm clear in my understanding, here's what my commands should
look like.
# mminfo -q 'volume=Y.RO' -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/ | grep -v ssid > stagelist.txt
# nsrstage -v -m -d -b LTO3Pool -S -f ./stagelist.txt

If you were using the copies=2 to only get the savesets that were not cloned -- then you need to keep that in your query or you are going to empty your AFTD (Y in this example).

In a related quest, I'm also trying to work out a way to list all the
savesets I have on a AFTD as well as list what tape(s) the clone exists on.
 Any insight on this is also appreciated.

mminfo -q volume=Y -r ssid | while read x; do
   mminfo -q ssid=$x -r volume,<and 0ther things>;
done

Informtn Tech Profssnl Sr       | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
 "I am not young enough to know everything. " - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)