Networker

Re: [Networker] Stage savesets from AFTD to tape

2009-11-11 16:40:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stage savesets from AFTD to tape
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:38:50 -0500
Preston,

You suggest using, or example, volume=Y.RO as a query element.  How would
this work if I have ten AFTDs to read from?  Do you recommend staging
savesets from one AFTD at a time, or can I include multiple AFTDs as the
savesetID/cloneID source?  Reason being, from a lazy perspective, I don't
want to have to run this process for each and every AFTD I have.  :o)

I realize I could (probably) use:
# mminfo -q 'volume=a.RO,volume=b.RO,volume=c.RO,...' -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/
| grep -v ssid

Also, the reason I was using in the query 'clones=2' is that my method would
read both the AFTD and AFTD.RO.  If number of copies = only 2, then the
saveset doesn't have a copy elsewhere.  If copies = 3, then that tells me
there's a clone on tape, as there should be.

So, just so I'm clear in my understanding, here's what my commands should
look like.
# mminfo -q 'volume=Y.RO' -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/ | grep -v ssid > stagelist.txt
# nsrstage -v -m -d -b LTO3Pool -S -f ./stagelist.txt

In a related quest, I'm also trying to work out a way to list all the
savesets I have on a AFTD as well as list what tape(s) the clone exists on.
 Any insight on this is also appreciated.

-Tom

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:48:36 +1100, Preston de Guise
<enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>On 12/11/2009, at 07:20 , Tom Birkenbach wrote:
>
>> In an effort to stage savesets from AFTDs to tape, I'm using the following
>> procedure.
>>
>> #mminfo -ot -q 'location=storagenode1,copies=2' -r ssid > stagelist.txt
>> #nsrstage -v -m -d -b LTO3Pool -S -f ./stagelist.txt
>>
>> I believe my only real "gotcha" is if I forget to set the location on the
>> AFTD.  Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is stage all the savesets from the
>> AFTD to tape to clear the disk (for maintenance purposes, disk resizing,
>> whatever...).  My method feels a bit "hackey" and, with the multitude of
>> Networker commands, it seems like there could be a better way.  Any ideas or
>> suggestions?
>
>The absolute number one suggestion I have for you is DON'T specify just the
saveset id.

>(Sorry for the caps but it's that important.)
>
>If you're cloning out to tape first, then subsequently stage, then staging
specifying just the saveset ID will have unintended consequences.

>If you stage by saveset ID alone, NetWorker will delete _all_ details of
_all_ instances of the saveset except the instance you just staged out.
I.e., you lose reference to your clones as well.

>Always run mminfo for staging operations as:
>
>mminfo <rest> -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/ | grep -v ssid
>
>That way, mminfo will construct the results including saveset ID and clone ID.
>
>Also, because of that, you'd want to change your query field from
'location=X' to say:

>volume=Y.RO
>
>where Y.RO is the read-only volume you want to stage from; run once per
disk backup unit.

>I realise with you using a query of "copies=2" that you're probably not
cloning --- however, honestly, staging by just saveset ID alone is something
you want to avoid getting in the habit of; it's just too dangerous.