Networker

Re: [Networker] Storage Node Explanation

2009-11-02 15:52:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storage Node Explanation
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:49:12 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
11/02/2009 03:32:39 PM:

> > I want to make sure I understand what a Storage Node does
> >
> > I have 3 remote locations connected to corporate that I would like
> to backup with Networker. My Networker server is at the corporate
> location. If I understand this correctly I can place a tape drive
> attached to a server at each location and configure a storage node
> on my Networker server for these locations. The Networker server
> controls the backups at the remote sites, backing data to the tapes
> at those sites and sending index information back to the main server
> at corporate. Is this correct?
>

> Sounds right to me..... metadata/index info is sent to your
> corporate site, client creation, group control and scheduling also
> done on the corporate server.  The backed up data will get written
> to the tape drive hanging off of the storage node at your remote
location

So what happens when the Networker server is not available (WAN link goes
down)? The scheduled backup doesn't occurr, since the server that provides
the scheduling and group control is no longer there to kick everything
off. Correct?