Networker

Re: [Networker] Sun Hardware

2009-10-23 14:06:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sun Hardware
From: David Magda <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:02:05 -0400
On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:07, Joel Fisher wrote:

Anyone else out there using T1 or T2 processor systems with LTO-4(or
T10000) drives?  These extrapolated numbers seem reasonable, but just
wondering if anyone has real world experience with the setup.  If this
is the case then I may have to look towards an M3000 or M4000 server for
the propose of cloning.

For our new backup architecture we're using a T5120 combined with a SL500 base module and two LTO-4 FC drives (to start) at the office I'm in. Disk staging will occur to a NetApp, where I believe A-SIS will be used for dedupe, and we'll be doing some kind of offsite replication via SnapMIrror. It will have 2x single-ported 4 GB/s HBAs (for redundancy and to spread the load over different PCI-Es).

The T5120 has four on-board NICs which we'll aggregate, but each T2 CPU also has dual 10 GigE on the die, so you can go that route if your switches support it (though you'll then be down to only slot for an HBA).

The T5220 has more internal slots for disk and more PCI-E slots (so you can have both dual 10 GigE and dual HBAs), but otherwise it's generally the same as the T5120.

The equipment hasn't arrived yet, so I can't tell you how it works though.

In this day and age, even "low-end" systems have a ridiculous amount of CPU (especially the Sun CMT kit). I think the main concern is pushing bits over the network to the disk (to make the backup window), and then 'cloning' speed from disk to tape (to prevent shoe shining). Going from client to tape hasn't really been much of an option with LTO-3 and -4.