Networker

[Networker] How to backup using symbolic name?

2009-10-20 14:02:21
Subject: [Networker] How to backup using symbolic name?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:57:50 -0400
Hi,

I have six save sets that I need to backup (level=full) on a client:

/data/dir1/year1
/data/dir1/year2
/data/dir1/year6

These are available vis NIS as /web/year1, /web/year2 ... /web/year6. I'd prefer to use these names as the save set names rather than the local (/etc/fstab) mount point names as this would make it easier for us to locate these in the media database in the future.

1. Can I do this from the nwadmin NW GUI, or will I need to use the save command on the client?

2. If I have to use the save command, it would be like:

# save -s server -b pool -l full -N /web/year1 /data/dir1/year1
# save -s server -b pool -l full -N /web/year2 /data/dir1/year2

That correct?

3. Other than launching one save process for each one, is there any other way that I can run several in parallel like what happens when I list save sets in the NSR client resource in the GUI and then run the group from there? I'd like to enable automatic cloning and just run the group and have it take care of all six. We usually have client parallelism set to 4 and device target sessions to 8. Of course, I can manually clone later, though, but just asking.

If I enable cloning on the group, and I write a script that saves each of the six paths as shown above but instead change the command to something like:

save -s server -g group -b pool -l full -N /web/year1 /data/dir1/year1

then would that force cloning of each save set after it completes? This would be OK as only the last save set is really that big.

Thanks.

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210