Networker

Re: [Networker] Security concerns with NMC?

2009-10-16 15:18:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Security concerns with NMC?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:11:44 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Security concerns with NMC?, George Sinclair said...:

Before installing the NMC software, I have some concerns about the user
account that this will run under, specifically the fact that this
package runs as a web server on whatever machine you install it on, if I
understand correctly, yes? Makes me kinda nervous.

There are many, many things about most commercial, closed-source
applications that make me nervous.  I have encountered hundreds of
packages over the years that blithely assume that they will be run as
root, in most cases for no good reason.  Packages like that make me really
nervous.

A package with documentation that says "don't run me as root" still presents
opportunities for concern, but one of the biggest areas for concern is
already addressed.  Which non-root user it runs as isn't something I'm
losing any sleep over.

"Specify a User/Group with limited privileges that NMC will use to run
the web server. This must be a non-root user. For example, Linux
operating systems have a default user/group [nobody/nobody] that can be
used."

1. What would be considered a user with limited privileges? Any new
user/group that you create that's not root (uid=0 or gid=0)?

Any user that doesn't have special privileges.  If you've just created a
user with a unique uid and gid and haven't given them any special
privileges, then they definitely have the limited privileges the
documentation is talking about.

2. Is anyone using a restricted shell for this? Would that even work or be of any security advantage?

3. How about a chrooted environment?

For us, the answer is no and no.  I take security very seriously, but
honestly these aren't my highest concerns with NMC or other NetWorker
components.

You want something security-related to be concerned about with NMC,
here's one: there's no support for encryption during the authentication
process.

Tim
edu