Networker

Re: [Networker] Scanner - Scanning in a 6.0.1 tape in a 7.5 world

2009-10-09 15:58:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scanner - Scanning in a 6.0.1 tape in a 7.5 world
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:48:01 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Scanner - Scanning in a 6.0.1 tape in a 7.5...:

Restoring from a 6.0.1 backup tape with a master server of 7.5 can be
done, but there's no guarantee that the data is neither accurate nor
correct. Anybody know about this?

That's an interesting definition of "can be done," for a backup product.

I agree completely.  If someone from EMC is telling the original
poster that, I would push back and ask how EMC guarantees data protection,
then.  Some people have long data retention requirements.  If data that
was backed up under version 6.x of a product can't be recovered with what
EMC requires you to use today, then how do they suggest you get it back?
Apparently "where information lives" only applies to very recent
information.

Of course, I don't really get what the original poster is trying to do.
If the plan is to dump NetWorker, then why are you trying to
migrate 6.x data to a 7.5.x server?

I would think one would be much better off virtualizing the old NetWorker
servers that can be virtualized and just keeping around the hardware for
the other servers that can't be.

Tim
edu