Networker

Re: [Networker] How to upgrade (push) NW client with software dependencies

2009-10-07 12:30:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to upgrade (push) NW client with software dependencies
From: Long Nguyen <lnguyen AT CALPOLY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:15:47 -0700
Hi TIm,

Thanks for your input. I have performed two steps to upgrade successfully on
NW Linux Client since yesterday.  1) yum install openmotif. 2)  push
(upgrade) NW client through NWC Software Administration Wizard.

regards,
long

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu> wrote:

> In regard to: [Networker] How to upgrade (push) NW client with software...:
>
>  10/06/09 14:04:24:nw_client_install: Install networker packages lgtoman
>> /usr lgtoclnt /usr ...
>> 10/06/09 14:04:24:Adding package "lgtoman" at location "/usr"...
>> 10/06/09 14:04:25:Package "lgtoman" added at location "/usr"...
>> 10/06/09 14:04:25:Adding package "lgtoclnt" at location "/usr"...
>> 10/06/09 14:04:26:nw_client_install: command "/bin/rpm -i  /tmp/
>> cp_prmgls01.its.calpoly.edu/    lgtoclnt" failed with: \n error: Failed
>> dependencies:
>>       openmotif is needed by lgtoclnt-7.4.5-1.i686
>>   Suggested resolutions:
>>       /var/spool/up2dateopenmotif-2.2.3-10.2.el4.i386.rpm
>> 10/06/09 14:04:26:nw_client_install, function add_package failed for
>> package
>> "lgtoclnt" at location "/usr"...
>> 10/06/09 14:04:26:nw_client_install: Function add_packages failed.
>>
>> SHOULD I try to put the openmotif in /var/spool?
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "put the openmotif in /var/spool".  Just
> putting the package in /var/spool/up2date won't do any good, you actually
> need to get it installed somehow.  There may already be a version of
> the openmotif package in that directory, though it might not be the most
> recent version of the package.
>
> The nw_client_install utility is just running
>
>        rpm -i /path/to/rpm/lgtoclnt
>
> which will fail because rpm doesn't do dependency searching (so it
> doesn't automatically search other sources for the missing dependency).
> If there are any missing dependencies for the package you're trying to
> install, it just fails unless you do things I wouldn't recommend (like
> using --nodeps).
>
> The up2date command *will* do dependency searching, and that's what's
> being hinted at by the "Suggested resolutions" line.
>
> Your best bet is to use
>
>        up2date --install openmotif
>
> on the client(s) first, and then try push your networker client install.
> Alternately, if you are licensed for the necessary capabilities in Red Hat
> NetWork (or your Satellite server, if you have one) you could push the
> openmotif package (and its dependencies) to the clients using that
> interface.
>
> Note that if nw_client_install is only calling rpm -i to install the
> lgtoclnt RPM and is not also then calling
>
>        up2date -p
>
> afterward, your client definition in either Red Hat NetWork or your
> Satellite or Spacewalk server will be out of sync with what's actually
> installed on the box.
>
> Tim
> --
> Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT
> edu
> Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure                  701-231-1076 (Voice)
> Room 242-J6, IACC Building                             701-231-8541 (Fax)
> North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164

> [...]

Support environmentally friendly transportation and fight global warming and
high gas prices by bicycling, the most affordable, zero emissions and
healthy way to get around, and an enjoyable way to make a positive
difference. Plus, you'll arrive refreshed and ready to take on the day!
--
Long Nguyen
email: lnguyen AT calpoly DOT edu