Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on License manager?

2009-10-06 16:51:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on License manager?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 07:46:55 +1100
Hi George,

On 07/10/2009, at 06:51 , George Sinclair wrote:

New to 7.51. Coming from 7.2.2

We will have just a single 7.5SP1 primary backup server (Linux) and 1-2 snodes. Is there really any need to install the License Manager software? Could we simply install and manage the licenses from the primary server itself, just the way we've always done it?

Yes, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to plug licenses directly into NetWorker.

If you did install the License Manager, and it's on a different machine, what happens if that machine is down? Seems like it's not buying you anything in terms of redundancy? Why bother? Hmm ...

License Manager isn't really there for redundancy purposes. However, to clarify: your NetWorker server will not cease to work as soon as it can't communicate with your license manager server. When a NetWorker server grabs a license from an LLM server, it has it for 45 days before it has to check back in to the LLM server to confirm that the license is still valid.

There's three key reasons why you might use LLM:

- If you want to use bulk licenses (never once used them, so I can't comment about them beyond their existence) - If you want to centralise all licenses from multiple datazones to a single location to be shared out to the backup servers for maximising license use - If you want to be able to periodically change your backup server host without doing a re-auth each time: the licenses are authorised against the LLM server, not the backup server.

If you don't have any of these pressing needs, you'll likely find no need to go down the LLM path.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com