Networker

[Networker] stinit.def for 7.4SP1?

2009-10-06 16:23:29
Subject: [Networker] stinit.def for 7.4SP1?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 16:18:59 -0400
Moving from 7.2.2 (Solaris) to 7.5SP1 on Linux. We've been using an /etc/stinit.def file on our current RH Linux snode for our IBM Ultrium LTO-3 drives on an STK tape library. We'll be using a new Dell ML6000 tape library with six LTO-4 drives attached to a RHEL snode.

Should we expect to continue to use /etc/stinit.def? Or can we get away without using one?

My concern is that without the proper definitions, we might not be able to properly recover data from the LTO-3 tapes that we've written to under 7.2.2 even though the LTO-4 drives can read LTO-3 tapes?

The installation guide says this:

"For optimal tape device performance, and to ensure that all NetWorker tape operations function properly, EMC recommends that you modify the stinit.def file in the /etc directory, as appropriate for your device."

Also, there is this in the "config_tape_devices.pdf" file that I downloaded from EMC's Powerlink documentation section:

"Linux st kernel module does have native LTO support by utilizing its
generic functionalities, but some of the default settings are known to
cause problems. The appropriate entries must be added to /etc/stinit.def
file and devices initialized with stinit command."

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210