Networker

Re: [Networker] Intermitten NDMP failures on NetApp

2009-09-28 09:53:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Intermitten NDMP failures on NetApp
From: "Kuin, CNM" <CKuin AT WLZ DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:48:11 +0200
> I am getting intermittent failures on some of NetApp volumes,
> backed up via NDMP.  It's not always the same volume, not
> even the same NetApp unit.  Every once in a blue moon
> Networker reports a network failure and aborts a volume,
> usually in the middle of a FULL backup:
>
> I am running 7.4.4 on Sparc T2000, NetApps are FAS3040 with Ontap7.3.3
> NDMP options:
> HIST=y
> DIRECT=y
> UPDATE=y
> OPTION=NT
> UTF8=y
>
> Inactivity timeout - 15
> Client retries - 1
ONTAP 7.3.3? Didn't know it was out! (AFAIK 7.3.2RC1 is the most recent
7.3 version available).
Does the volume contain MANY small files? Try setting the timeout to 0
(zero).
What does OPTION=NT do? I'm not familiar with that parameter.
(we use
HIST=Y
UPDATE=Y
DIRECT=Y
EXTRACT_ACL=Y)

With the next Full backup, set the NDMP debug level to 50 on the filer:
ndmpd debug 50
(taken from NetApp 'Tape Backup and Recovery Guide')
This will give you extra info.

Regards,
Cor.