Networker

[Networker] Intermitten NDMP failures on NetApp

2009-09-28 09:40:28
Subject: [Networker] Intermitten NDMP failures on NetApp
From: dmitri <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:29:02 -0400
I am getting intermittent failures on some of NetApp volumes, backed up via
NDMP.  It's not always the same volume, not even the same NetApp unit.  Every
once in a blue moon Networker reports a network failure and aborts a volume,
usually in the middle of a FULL backup:

XXX:xxx 42617:nsrndmp_save: NDMP Service Log: DUMP: Sat Sep 26 19:53:54 2009 :
We have written 35297975 KB.
XXX:xxx 42957:nsrdsa_save: Error : readlen = -1 (avail = 58648)
XXX:xxx read: Connection reset by peer42950:nsrdsa_save: Save failed
XXX:xxx 42617:nsrndmp_save: NDMP Service Log: DUMP: Network communication error
XXX:xxx 42738:nsrndmp_save: Data server halted: The backup is aborted by
operator.
XXX:xxx 42617:nsrndmp_save: NDMP Service Log: Aborted by client

I am running 7.4.4 on Sparc T2000, NetApps are FAS3040 with Ontap7.3.3
NDMP options:
HIST=y
DIRECT=y
UPDATE=y
OPTION=NT
UTF8=y

Inactivity timeout - 15
Client retries - 1
when such a failure happens - both retries fail, obviously.
I haven't noticed anything unusual during these failures, no network problems
(the rest of the volumes ran just fine), no high load anywhere.

I was wondering if any of you folks has ever observed such behaviour?

TIA
dmitri