Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap retention?

2009-09-23 13:28:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap retention?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:23:13 -0400
Len Philpot wrote:
George Sinclair It's always been my understanding that if the server is not a member of an active group then its bootstrap (possibly index, too) will get backed

up by every group. When a group runs, each of its constituent clients will save its data along with the client index once the client's data has completed, unless, however, you check the group option: 'No index save'. In that case, each of the clients will NOT save their index following completion of the backups, never mind the fact that the index was still updated, assuming, of course, it's enabled on the pool.

Yes - In fact, we back up our indexes to the same pool(s) as everything else. This particular environment is relatively small (but highly important, of course! :-), so KISS works well here.

What is (no, not who. LOL!) KISS?

Typically, the default 'Retention policy' is one year. You can have the server in its own active group and pool and set the Retention for that NSR client resource to something other than one year, and that should not impact the retention policy for other clients. We back up our server

Check the retention time for your server's NSR client resource and check

to see if it's a member of an active group.

Ah ha - You've reminded me of something. In my test environment, the server is an active member of all (active) groups. In our 7.2 "other" production environment, the server is NOT a member of every active group. So, before I was even employed here, we created an "all-skip" schedule and added the server with that schedule to all the other active groups. It prevented redundant index backups (not to mention printouts!). Looking at an mminfo query, I see that bootstraps with a year retention are only being created from groups where the server is not a member. So, I've done the same to this environment: Created an all-skip schedule and added the server with that schedule to the groups it wasn't already in.

Hmm ... Does a client's schedule override the group's schedule, assuming there is one listed for the group? Just curious how the server's all-skip schedule would even be obeyed by the group, unless the group did not specify a schedule and instead relied on the individual client schedules?

How does the server get backed up? Is there a second NSR client resource for it that uses a non-skip schedule?

Hopefully that will fix the issue. I'll know tomorrow. :-)

Thanks!

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -