Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap retention?

2009-09-23 12:51:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap retention?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:46:03 -0500
> George Sinclair
>
> It's always been my understanding that if the server is not a member of
> an active group then its bootstrap (possibly index, too) will get backed

> up by every group. When a group runs, each of its constituent clients
> will save its data along with the client index once the client's data
> has completed, unless, however, you check the group option: 'No index
> save'. In that case, each of the clients will NOT save their index
> following completion of the backups, never mind the fact that the index
> was still updated, assuming, of course, it's enabled on the pool.

Yes - In fact, we back up our indexes to the same pool(s) as everything
else. This particular environment is relatively small (but highly
important, of course! :-), so KISS works well here.

> Typically, the default 'Retention policy' is one year. You can have the
> server in its own active group and pool and set the Retention for that
> NSR client resource to something other than one year, and that should
> not impact the retention policy for other clients. We back up our server

> Check the retention time for your server's NSR client resource and check

> to see if it's a member of an active group.

Ah ha - You've reminded me of something. In my test environment, the
server is an active member of all (active) groups. In our 7.2 "other"
production environment, the server is NOT a member of every active group.
So, before I was even employed here, we created an "all-skip" schedule and
added the server with that schedule to all the other active groups. It
prevented redundant index backups (not to mention printouts!).

Looking at an mminfo query, I see that bootstraps with a year retention
are only being created from groups where the server is not a member. So,
I've done the same to this environment: Created an all-skip schedule and
added the server with that schedule to the groups it wasn't already in.
Hopefully that will fix the issue. I'll know tomorrow. :-)

Thanks!